Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Picasso's 'Tragedy'


Blue people on a blue background, hunched over looking sad? Well, if their body language didn't say it, I'm sure Picasso's incredibly subtle palette did the trick - this painting is a tragedy!

Now, it isn't a tragedy in the "woe is me, I've gouged my eyes out" sort of way: Everyone knows a greek tragedy has a lot more red in it.


"WHY? WHYYYYY!?"

Is it just me, or do my blog posts read like a Cracked.com article?

Intellectual, academic reflections: Picasso uses a combination of color and body language in his figures to suggest an internal tragedy that is evocative in its vagueness.

What I imagine is that this family has just been turned out of their beachside apartment by their (obviously) heavily-moustachio'd landlord. They wander a cold beach on a cloudy day, unable to enjoy the same amenities that, through the lens of homelessness, are harsh and unforgiving.

An innocent child tugs on the pantleg of his father, asking why they have no home. He turns away in shame.

A single tear rolls down the mother's eye.


"Tears of BLOOD? Didn't THINK so! The King is unimpressed!"


Or something else. Who knows, really? That family could be as sad as...well, these guys.


Tragedy.



No comments:

Post a Comment